There are various methods in Ayurveda to improve eyesight. If proper care for eye is not take, it can result into various eye conditions such as age related macular degeneration and cataracts, which is a leading cause of blindness in the world.
The Ayurvedic name for defective eyesight is ‘Drishti Dosha’. Alochaka Pitta is responsible for maintaining eyesight and it weakens with age. Proper caring for the eyes is one preventative measure that helps.
Causes of Defective Eyesite: –
Prolonged constipation and nervous debility can cause Drishti dosha. Common cold can also lead to eyesight defects.Stress , Diabetes, Excessive smoking, alcohol intake,caffienated drinks are also responsible for defective eyesight .
Ayurvedic Diet for improving Eyesight:
– Consuming good amount of apple and grapes helps in improving your eyesight.
– Carrots have good quantity of vitamin A which proves to be one of the useful natural treatment for enhancing your eyesight.
– Cucumber juice does wonders for your eyesight as it tries to improve it immensely.
– Addition of spinach in your diet is beneficial.It purifies your blood, increases the hemoglobin and improves your eyesight.
– Turnip, fresh milk, cheese, butter, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, soya beans, green peas, oranges and dates are good source of vitamin A include them in your diet.
– Almond is ideal for eyes; it strengthens the vision, and calm mental stress. Take 1-2 t. a day with warm milk or sweet orange juice.
– You can mix some cardamom seeds with 1 tablespoon of honey. Eat daily.
– Consuming blueberry juice also considered to be very useful for your eyes.
Ayurvedic Herbs for improving Eyesight:
Amla – Extract the juice of fresh amla and drink 20 ml twice daily.
Asparagus – Mix 1 teaspoon of powdered asparagus in half teaspoon of honey. Take the mixture twice daily with warm cow’s milk.
Bhringraj – When Bhringraj herb or amla herb oil or paste is applied over eyes, they help in improving eye vision.
Black pepper- Black pepper powder should be mixed with honey o improve eyesight.
Ghee – Rub a small amount of ghee on soles of the feet to improve eye vision.
Garlic – The juice extracted from fresh garlic is used for regaining lost eyesight.
Rose petals – Freshly extracted juice of properly cleaned rose petals, which can be used both internally and externally for improving eye vision.
Liquorice – Take approximately half to 1 teaspoon of liquorice powder with cow’s milk twice daily. This powder can also be mixed with ghee or honey.
Triphala – Triphala is an important medicine for eye health, especially blurred vision or to prevent the development of cataract.
Exercises for Eyesight Improvement:
— Close both the eyes very tightly by shutting the lids firmly. Open them suddenly which allows you to feel the stretch. Once open arch your brows and stretch your face. Repeat this several times a day.
— Look as far as possible and inhale then look down as far as possible and exhale. Blink your eyes more than dozen times. Do the same procedure by turning to your left and right then diagonally up to left, down to right, up to right and down to left followed by rapid blinking.
— Rotate your eyes in all the directions. Slowly and steadily concentrate one eye at a time. Do this exercise more than dozen times and try doing this with your eyes shut.
— By using palming which can be stated as a revised version of the thousand-year-old yoga tradition known was Hatha Yoga. It relieves strain and stress from your mind and eyes which needs the required break. For this you have to warm your hands by rubbing them together vigorously. Once it’s warm cover the eye without touching the eyelids. This relaxes the nerves and helps in blood circulation.
— You can also try sunning which means to use sun’s light for your eyes. Move your head from side to side for the heat to benefit the eyes. After a while try stretching the eyes to allow more sunlight to your eyes. Directly looking at the sun is never good. It is great method to reduce light sensitivity.
— Perform Netra Basti which is bathing your eyes with clarified butter to reduce eye strain and to improve eyesight.